Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Civil War Ancestors


I love to study and to learn about my civil war ancestors. Although I have many ancestor that fought in the war, I'm more curious about the ones who did not fight, the women and children. What a difficult time it must have been for the women and children to watch their husbands, fathers and brothers go off to fight.

Although I don't know to much about her, my favorite civil war ancestor is Sallie Winnie Wyatt. (I think I just love the name!) Her father Payton Wyatt was the first civil war soldier that I learned about. Sallie was born in 1861, in Virginia. at the start of the civil war. He father Payton enlisted with the 57th Virginia Infantry and was placed in Company F. Sallie's father died of disease a little over a year later of disease at Drewry's Bluff. Sallie grew up only hearing stories of her father. Sallie also had three uncles on her dad's side that also fought in the war, Silas, Robert and John. From what I can tell from my research, Sallie's uncle Robert was the only survivor of the war.

In 1879 Sallie married William Henry Altice who was born in 1858 in Franklin Co. Virginia. William's father, Abraham Altick also fought in the war. He fought in the 42th Virginia Infantry Company K. Although wounded several times Abraham lived through the war and died in Franklin Co. in 1900. He fought at 2nd Mananas, Harper's Ferry, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Ceder Creek, Cold Harbor and many other bloody battles.

William and Sallie Winnie had several children one was a daughter Eva Mae Altice. She was my Grandma's Grandma. My Grandma passed away in December, and there is still so much I want to know about her family. But the stories she did tell are now very priceless to me. Grandma gave me a picture of her Sallie Winnie when she was very old. Grandma did not have a picture of her in her younger age. But I will take what I can get and treasure it. (Sallie is the lady on the right.)

1 comment:

Alice Dickens said...

I have obtained a wonderful tin type picture of 4 ladies in hats. I will be posting it over the weekend. It's wonderful. I have no idea of the date could be civil war or just after.

Stay tuned to Hat Nostalgia